Saturday, October 6, 2012

Running for My Life

Today I paid $35 to run 3 miles in a Wonder Woman costume through a hilly cemetery.

The 5K benefitted the Friends of Laurel Hill organization, which holds educational events in the historic cemetery, and Gearing Up, an organization which "provides women in transition from abuse, addiction, and/or incarceration with the skills, equipment, and guidance to safely ride a bicycle for exercise, transportation, and personal growth."

Aside from the basic absurdity of paying money to run, these are good causes, and since the race was COSTUMED (Halloween theme heyoo) I signed up. And then all of a sudden it was race time and I had done almost no training. The thing about running is, I know all these people who run all the time and do races and say it's so fun, but whenever I go out for a light jog around the neighborhood I want to DIE. And Laurel Hill Cemetery is kind of a hard course because it might be the hilliest spot in Philadelphia. FORREAL. I thought I had asthma. But I finished.

They scored the best times for people in age categories 21+, 13-19, and 13 and under. My time was better than the time of the kid who won for the 13 and under bracket. Just saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment