Sunday, July 22, 2012

Role Model: Willow Smith




Willow Smith is such a freakin’ boss. Like, really, this child is so many lightyears cooler than I am. This is her newest video, which is basically the musical polar opposite of “Whip My Hair,” although thematically she’s still sticking to the “be yourself and F the haters” schtick and I loveit. She says in the song basically, “I shaved my head and I DON’T GIVE A CRAP about your opinions” and other really cool things about being yourself and doing what you like that most 11 year olds do not get. I mean, how many Disney Channel or Nickelodeon shows (which are aimed at kids ages like 8-14) give that message? None. They’re all about like sneaking around and like maybe being a popstar but also hijinks and cute boys and unnecessary yelling. Willow Smith is basically like, “WHATEVER, YOU DO YOU.” 
Okay, she’s the progeny of two celebrities, that’s a significant reason why she’s famous, but I love Willow Smith. I still think “Whip My Hair” is a totally awesome song (celebration of black hair!) and “21st Century Girl” is one of my favorite songs to workout to, and um, hello, “Fireball?” How many pre-teens get to collab with Nicki Minaj? So cool. Anyway, Willow Smith may be only 11 but I think she is totally someone to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment