Saturday, October 1, 2011

Glee: Irreality and Reality Index, Episodes 301 and 302

This is a format I have poached from a blog series I used to read when I watched Gossip Girl.

+Okay, awesome, we finally learn who is in what grade. This is probably something shows about high school students should do in the first season.
+ Sugar Motta. I did musical theater in high school and Sugar Motta is a real person.
- I find it hard to believe there are NO nerdy musical theater freshman at this school. That is a statistical improbability. Approximately 40% of the girls of any high school class anywhere has some pipe dream of starring as the one from Rent who sings "Out Tonight" in a community theater production and sings into her hairbrush before she gets ready for school. I pulled that fact out of my ass but I am pretty sure it's true anyway.
-/+ I don't even remember what happened between Emma and Will last season, but this feels weird to me. No points either way.
+ Rachel and Kurt's Broadway dreams. If this were real life, they would have the same Broadway dreams but not be as good. I know too many musical theater majors.
- Why is Santana Sue's minion again? I thought it had been established that she prefers Glee club.
- The random, perpetual orchestra. Have they never heard of a boombox and karaoke tracks?
- Anti-arts? There's like actually research to back up a pro-arts stance, why is this happening, I feel like the writers don't know what to do with Sue anymore. Lima, Ohio perhaps exists on not real Earth, but Earth II.
+ Quinn's transformation I believe. She was all over the place last season and it finally seems like being in the Skanks is a logical character progression.
- Blaine leaves private school for his boyfriend? I don't think so.
+ Emma: "So this is what being turned on feels like." HAHA!
-/+ Okay, the musical theater geeks would not have weekly meetings, but also... it's possible. That girl annoyed me on the two episodes of The Glee Project that I could stand to sit through, but she was kind of perfect in this. Kurt and Rachel's small-town intimidation was believable, but at the same time... Lea Michele has won a freaking Grammy and already been on Broadway, so I'm rolling my eyes.
+ Kurt Hummel's bulging pink funsack. Brittany's character exists outside of the reality/irreality index.
-/+ Shelby Corcoran is back? Okay, I'll take it. We should probably not forget that Quinn had a baby not that long ago.
- Shelby crashes Rachel's practice session and interrupts it by singing with her. Rudeness!
+ Shelby and Rachel's duet was beautiful. That song always gets me.
-/+ Kurt sings "I'm The Greatest Star" has his audition for Tony. Okay, Kurt knows too much about musical theater to make that mistake, but that being said, great performance. Loved the line about getting written permission from Rachel to perform Barbra.
+ "You're gay. And you're not like Rock Hudson gay, you're really gay. You sing like Diana Ross and you dress like you own a magic chocolate factory." Perhaps not something a father would say to his gay son in real life, but I laughed out loud.
+ Puck has turned into a really awesome character and I'm liking that he wants to get to know Beth.
-Did they up the key of the West Side Story songs? I have to watch the movie for homework this week so I will get to the bottom of this.
+ Kurt and Burt bring up the point that there just are not enough gay characters. Period.
+ "I have to get her back If that takes dying my hair blonde and pretending to think I'm special, that's something I'm willing to do."
-GET POLITICS OUT OF GLEE. I'm dying.
+"I'm starting to believe in my own magic." Yes, Brittany. Hopefully this heralds more Brittany-Santana plotlines.
- (x10) for the allusion that Will will enter politics.
+ Darren Criss. That is all.
- (x2) As always, Kurt and Finn are the only ones with actual parents, so minus points for the lack of parents present for Quinn and Rachel because they could have been actually relevant in both of these episodes. When the HELL are Rachel's gay dads going to be cast? Like they wouldn't be in the auditorium taping her Maria audition for their basement shrine. Pu-lease.

Okay, by my count (which could be incorrect because I'm tired):
15 Reality points, 23 irreality points. All in all, this season is starting off strong, and what really killed the reality is Glee trying to get Will Schuster into politics. In which case I may actually stop watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment