Monday, September 12, 2011

My Weekly Plug for Unite For Sight

In December I am will be flying to Tegucigalpa, Honduras to volunteer as a Global Impact Fellow for Unite For Sight. Becoming a Global Impact Fellow was (and is) a big ole process. There was a rigorous application, I had to prove my ability to effectively communicate in Spanish (UFS's programs in India and Ghana do not require a language ability other than English), and I'm currently working on getting a company to donate 500 pairs of reading glasses to the clinic, completing online training so that I am prepared when I arrive in Tegucigalpa, and learning about the ethics of international aid. I'm also raising money for Unite For Sight, at least $1,700.

100% of the (tax-deductable!) donations to Unite For Sight go toward directly funding surgeries to restore the sight of extremely poor people. There are millions of people who are needlessly blind because they lack the access to or money for (another type of access) adequate eye care services. A cataracts surgery to restore someone's sight costs on average $50. $250 restores the sight of 5 people. When I reach my goal of $1,700, that means 34 people will get the surgeries that will restore their abilities to see. If I can raise more than that, then even more needy people can have surgeries. Any amount of donation is appreciated because it all goes toward breaking down patient barriers to health care.

As I am approaching the end of my undergraduate career at Temple, I have come to realize that my most meaningful work experiences have involved directly impacting the lives of others.

As an anthropology major, I have realized that my interests in global development and post-colonial studies are not just things that I want to be involved in academically. The existing inequality gap experienced by millions of people worldwide has persisted since past, unenlightened decades in which power was distributed in fundamentally unequal and unjust ways. Rampant institutionalized racism and unchecked capitalist greed have not only brought these social issues into existence, but continued them into the year 2011. This is why I became an anthropology major and why I have become involved in radical politics and activism in Philadelphia. Making a difference can happen on a person-to-person level.

Guaranteeing a better future starts by making sure all people have access to the services necessary for living healthy and productive lives. I am beyond excited to be working with Unite For Sight and would be grateful for your support of this organization's efforts to provide eye care to more patients living in extreme poverty. Over 1,200,000 people have already benefited from Unite For Sight, and over 46,000 people have been able to get sight-restoring surgeries. Any amount makes a difference in a person's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment