Saturday, July 23, 2011

Review: Friends With Benefits


I just saw Friends With Benefits by myself on a Saturday night. We're in the middle of a fucking heat wave! Movie theaters have the best air conditioning! Definitely worth the $9.50.

Wait a minute, you might be saying to yourself. Didn't I see this movie already? Girl from Black Swan, movie about a "racy" concept that is actually just a normal rom-com? Well, yes.


But I swear, this one is way funnier than the one that came out a couple months ago. First of all, Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake are much more likable. And you see their butts. What's not to like?

I mean, I did enjoy No Strings Attached. It's cute. I'm not usually into rom-coms and I'm fine with that movie since it's a lot punchier than the crap Katherine Heigl and Reese Witherspoon come out with every other month. But I think Friends With Benefits is better.

1. First of all, FWB wasn't pretending like NSA was that the movie was feminist and groundbreaking and stuff. Don't give me false hope movie people, that just makes me mad when you disappoint me. There were no false pretenses. I just expected to be entertained (and air conditioned) and I was.

2. Mila Kunis is better than Natalie Portman. Oooh, former co-star comparisons! Okay, I'm not always into Natalie Portman. I think she was amazing in Black Swan. You know, amazing, terrifying, nightmare-inducing, but in an Oscar-worthy way. She's not a rom-com girl. It's just not completely convincing. Mila Kunis gets the job done though. She's spunky. I like her.

3. So I got like super annoyed watching NSA because Ashton Kutcher F's it up and it's really all his fault. He had no green light. Slow the roll, buck-o! But he didn't listen, and he ruined it. Ugh, what a dummy. It was like super unrealistic the way that they "fell" for each other in that movie, not that rom-coms ever are, but I was annoyed because the dialogue was so funny, and then it gets boring and serious because Ashton Kutcher had to go and say that he wanted to be in a real relationship. Shut up! Anyway, FWB is about Justin's and Mila's characters actually being friends, and when they fall for each other (whoops sorry, but if you did not know that was going to happen then you are brain dead or have never seen an American rom-com) you believe it because the movie actually gave their characters the time to do that.

4. Sort of in the way Scream is hilarious and awesome for doing this meta-analysis of the horror genre by commenting on it and making fun of it throughout the movie, FWB does that to romantic comedies. Sure, lots of expected rom-com plot devices occur in the movie, but the characters talk about them, which ends up making them funny (and clichéd) instead of predictably boring (and clichéd). The fake rom-com with Jason Segel and Rashida Jones within the movie is a hilarious touch as well.

5. Plus, you get a whole lot of Justin. WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE, REALLY!? Or, if you're not into that, Mila. And air-conditioning for two hours. Everyone wins.

2 comments:

  1. See more quality wallpapers including Free images. These pictures are awesome and you can share it Friends with Benefits Pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie. First movie where a woman is not treated like a whore because of her sexual activities, lol and Justin and Mila have a huge chemistry

    ReplyDelete