Thursday, July 7, 2011

Inclusivity

Blah blah, okay, so it's obvious that I'm loving Switched at Birth, several of my friends have pointed out that this is nerdy (but several other friends have also voiced their love), but one of my favorite things about the show is that is shows and does not tokenize deaf culture.

What I suspect is that this show is going to inspire a lot of people to try to learn ASL. Anticipating this, ABC Family has made some short videos called, "My Favorite Sign" with the cast members. From what I have read, the deaf and hearing impaired cast members are helping the hearing cast members learn sign language, and I love that!

I imagine that for a lot of people who are watching, this might be their first time being exposed to ASL. I've had various experiences with ASL (my sister had speech problems and went to a school for the deaf when she was really young, until she was like 7 most of her friends were hearing-impaired or deaf, I worked at a summer camp where nearly every summer there are hearing-impaired campers, and I took a semester of ASL when I was 17), but it's not a typical language offering at schools so I think it's great that it's getting exposure and hopefully the show will encourage more people to learn ASL! I've forgotten a lot of the signs I learned since I took a class ... emmm... 4 years ago (ew I'm old) because I've been focusing on Spanish but it is definitely something that I want to pursue in the future. Perhaps I'll crack open some of my books this summer.

So here are the videos, some are easier than others, but I think ASL is really cool and this is a fun intro!







1 comment:

  1. My first real exposure to ASL was last summer when I worked with low functioning Autistic preschoolers, because a couple of students used it. So my knowledge of sign consists mostly of random words such as cookie or turtle. But I really enjoyed it, and have been considering taking it for some time, especially because I've recently had the opportunity of breaking it out again for a kid a work who also struggles with language.

    ReplyDelete