Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Female Voices in Comedy

As I am (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of Tina Fey's book Bossypants in my mailbox, I've been thinking a lot about women in comedy. A post today on Jezebel about Jane Curtin's dissatisfaction with the misogynistic environment on Saturday Night Live of the 1970s is only another reminder that silencing certain voices because of prejudices hurts the comedic quality of any enterprise! (And while we're at it... SNL, why don't you stop dressing up your Black male actors as women an hire some actual funny Black female performers? Can I get a duh?) So I'm grateful that while men and women are still not equally represented, women continue to work their way into the creation and production of comedy. We're getting there!

One of the things I love at my university is a student-run production called Temple Smash, modeled after Saturday Night Live. Several of my friends are involved, but I just want to highlight a skit written by my comedic genius friend, Caitlin (who also acts in it). Enjoy:

The Sandwich Shop from templesmash on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious video. I laughed outloud once the guy got hit with bread!
    Having more women play in comedy roles would definitely help to diversify the image of women instead of the usual sexual stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread thing always gets me too. The writing is so tight! And I must have not been paying attention when they did the set change, because I went to the taping of this, so when the two women emerged from hiding I had NO idea that was going to happen, and I had no idea where their voices were coming from.

    ReplyDelete