Monday, January 10, 2011

Buffy

So I broke down and watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix last summer and was only angered that I had resisted for so long. Dumb! That show is great. And when the 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie came out on instant watch (love ya, Netflix), obviously I had to watch and see how it compared to the show.


I think in general, the idea of Buffy (California girl turned vampire slayer) translates better in TV show format. The Buffy of the television series is much more complex and developed because there were many seasons for Joss Whedon to do so. Overall, I did love the movie, but I am one of those people who is a sucker for campy movies made in the 90s. And love-interest, Luke Perry, in all of his early-90s-hot-glory was def a plus. (David Boreanaz on the TV show is... just pure yum.) The movie is just fun. I'd recommend it.

Since Hollywood can't seem to turn out anything actually new lately, a Buffy movie remake is in the works. Joss Whedon is not connected to the project, so a lot of Buffy fans are skeptical of the potential of this revamp to be ... good. And probably rightly so.

One of my concerns about the remake is that the cheerleader-who-is-a-secret-vampire-killer is kind of dated by now. In the 90s, the idea that a funny blonde cheerleader could be a secret sassy badass was way used. It was part of that whole 90s girl power movement, where pop culture told girls they could be sassy feminist girls as long as they celebrated femininity in a somewhat stereotypical way. I don't think the secret-cheerleader-badass trope has completely disappeared since the 90s, but I do think that it has changed and taken on a somewhat darker form (see Sugar & Spice, But I'm a Cheerleader, or Jennifer's Body). In general, movies and TV have just gotten a lot darker than they were in the campy 90s. Times have changed. Cheerleaders in fiction have often represented the skanky, evil opposition, but even mainstream pop-culture (see Glee) has made cheerleaders an even more sinister. Will a Buffy remake feel outdated? Or will it be fresh?

No comments:

Post a Comment