Saturday, January 8, 2011

100th Post!

So, feminism in the past few days for me:

I had a long bus trip, so I read You've Come a Long Way Baby.
I looooved it. The book is a collection of essays written by prominent feminist thinkers about feminism in pop culture and politics. I enjoyed all the essays, especially the essays about chick flicks, chick lit, and female musicians. And even the chapters about parenting and the gendering of baby books I really liked and thought were interesting, although they don't really apply to my life right now. I finished it in a couple hours and highly recommend it.

(The title is a reference to the faux-feminist Virginia Slims print ads of the 80s. My summer job involves a lot of collaging from magazines, and my friends Stephen, Sam and I are constantly on the prowl for the You've Come a Long Way Baby ads because they are hilarious treasures. I have several saved.)



My friend Beth and I went to see Tiny Furniture, which I have been hearing about for months via Jezebel and Bust. Lena Dunham wrote, directed, and starred in it, and her character's mother and sister are actually played by her mother and sister. So it's notable because it's a highly-female production, but it's also a really good one. It's a sort of analysis of the post-college, burned-out, upper-class life, and is really well-written and acted, even if it is a little depressing in a oh-god-I'm-scared-of-the-future-way. I think Lena Dunham has a lot of promise-- she's a funny lady and I'm excited that she's teaming up with Judd Apatow for a future project. Woo!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Is it possible to talk with you off-blog
    my email is mullauna@yahoo.com
    im not a spammer, i just want to talk

    ReplyDelete