Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Link Round-Up

Since people know I am a feminist, and send me feminist-related things occasionally, here are some I've gotten recently:

Keiran sent me the STFU Sexists Tumblr, and while I still don't really understand tumblr, I like this.


Danny sent this to me saying, "thoughts? i want a paragraphed response." Obviously this clip from Total Recall is problematic... and yet another example of how space fantasies have been turned into unadulterated, raging, male fantasies. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Beth sent me this link to a Jezebel article on the connection between romantic teenagers and sexist teenagers... hmm.

And finally, this video showed up in my youtube subscriptions today (hooray! Another Feminist Frequency video!), and I really liked this one.

As a child whose Barbies rode on dinosaurs, and who had legos as well as glittery craft kits, I'm glad that I got to play with a whole spectrum of toys. This, I think, is a lot easier for girls than it is for boys. While a girl can pick up a nerf gun or legos, boys have a much harder time asking for easy bake ovens or Barbies or craft kits. One of the gains of feminism is that femininity is no longer so narrowly defined... or well, sometimes it is. As seen in the examples of ads in the video (which are not all that different from what I remember from 15 years ago... cry cry cry I'm old), advertisements go for the extremes. Hyper-masculinity and hyper-femininity. Maybe in the 90s there were some token girls in the sportier, more masculine Tonka truck commercials, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that advertisers think the same way movie producers do: Girls will go out for boy helmed movies/masculine toys, but boys will not go out for girl helmed movies/feminine toys. A girl can like boyish stuff and still be feminine and normal, but boys who like girly stuff are viewed as abnormal. And I think that's really tragic because but letting boys grow up with a masculinity complex is likely to severely limit them in the future. Toys aren't just for playing--they actually do help foster creativity and growth in children. And boxing children into either extreme, hyper-masculine or hyper-feminine, isn't going to help any kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment