Monday, November 8, 2010

Boo, Hiss

So, as I do occasionally, I was surfing on IMDB to watch trailers for new movies. Few things bring me as much joy as a good movie, and few things bring me as much rage as a bad one.

So lemme talk about the rage thing for a second.

The IMDB homepage features sliding advertisements for new trailers, one of which, called Hall Pass caught my eye. The mini description said, "Two men are granted a week of freedom from their wives."

Wait... what?

Clicking on the picture to see the trailer, I got this fuller description:

A married man is granted the opportunity to have an affair by his wife. Joined in the fun by his best pal, things get a little out of control when both wives start engaging in extramarital activities as well.

Wait... what??

So, men having affairs, getting granted "freedom" from their wives (because marriage is prison when you're a man) is FUN, but when women have affairs... it's out of control?


So, this looks like a less-funny movie-son of the recent string of "Dudes Gone Wild" movies (The Hangover, Pineapple Express, Superbad, Step Brothers, Get Him to the Greek, etc.) rife with attempts at physical comedy, blatant objectification of women, and the ultimate theme of all: Boys Just Wanna Have Fun. (I don't think that's how the Cyndi Lauper song goes.)

So yes... while these movies are often enjoyed by women, they're not pro-woman at all. I don't think a movie needs a feminist message to be funny necessarily, but the continued use of all these tired stereotypes and trope that portray women as THE NAG is sooooo not funny. And while there are plenty of male-helmed movies that I love and think are hilarious, these Dudes Gone Wild films tend to leave something to be desired. Like... quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment